Automated Mobile Phase Prep in minutes…with push-button convenience.
New: Automated pH Adjustment
A typical mobile phase prep as performed today (and 50 years ago!)…
- Verify the recipe in your SOP.
- Collect glassware - graduated cylinders, volumetric flasks, mobile phase bottles, graduated pipettes, etc.
- Lift heavy reagent bottles – often four liters (and weighing ~ 12 pounds – or more).
- Lift those heavy bottles high over the graduated cylinders, and pour (try not to splash!)
- Stop at the correct volume, by reading a meniscus in the cylinder. If you’re clever you may not fill the cylinder to full volume from the original container, but use a small beaker to finish.
- Discard any extra solvent left in the beaker.
- Repeat for every component in the mobile phase; often 3 or 4 times for a single solution. Running binary gradients with mixtures? Make that 6 to 8 operations total.
- What if the recipe you have is for more reagent volume than you actually need for your runs? You either a) recalculate everything, documenting carefully, or b) make the recipe, then toss what you don’t need, wasting money on both reagents and extra waste disposal.
- Add to this - dangerous solvent vapors when working on an open bench; or, for better safety, do it in a cramped hood. Plus the hazards of spills and hassle of clean-up.
- Need a buffer? At your pH meter, add acid (or base), drop-by-drop; wait for pH equilibration between drops. Especially slow and tedious when nearing your pH endpoint - after all, the job of a buffer is to resist pH change… Overshot the endpoint? Time to start over.
How does the PhasePrep™ make mobile phases instead?
It prepares solutions Gravimetrically.
Equipped with a precision balance, highly accurate pumping systems, and custom, proprietary software, the PhasePrep™ uses solvent densities to deliver accurate reagent volumes - by weight. Not only does this approach allow for rapid and reproducible solution creation, but scaling of recipes is as simple as entering the desired final volume into the software. And 1000 unique recipes can be stored in the system for recall. This makes the PhasePrep™ especially suitable for hard-working labs with many different assays.
Since the balance and the software keep track of the actual weight of solvent delivered, documentation is comprehensive and compliant, up to and including printing the label for the final reagent mix.
Place solvent feed lines in source bottles
Place destination vessel on the balance
Use touchscreen to select volumes and compositions